Organization: YouthConnekt Africa Hub
Application period: 22nd September – 02 October 2020
Duration of Contract: One Year with possibility of renewal
Type of Contract and Applicants: temporary appointment (TA) and Rwandan only
Africa’s greatest resource is arguably its nearly 230 million youth. Yet, this tremendous asset is relatively untapped. This is largely due to limited access to education, mentorship, finance, employment opportunities and health required to meaningfully participate in the continent’s socio-economic transformation and realize the economic dividend.
YouthConnekt Africa (YCA) has emerged as a high-impact solution for African countries to realize the demographic dividend. Launched in Rwanda in 2012, YouthConnekt has been embraced for its innovative design and implementation providing youth with the skills, networks and information needed to scale their initiatives and gain meaningful employment. To date, eighteen countries have already initiated YouthConnekt and many others have expressed their wish to implement the model.
The Inaugural July 2017 YCA Summit mandated the setup of a Hub to scale-up the initiative. YCA, a Pan-African platform endorsed to act as an implementing mechanism of the African Union (AU) youth charter and have as its vision “connecting African youth for socio-economic transformation”. Its mission is to reinforce members’ youth empowerment initiatives and entrepreneurs with expertise, partnerships and the brand of YouthConnekt. The YCA Hub will mainstream gender in its program design and implementation.
The YCA Hub strategy aims to touch at least 1.2 million Youth (women and men) in Africa over five years. YCA would thus contribute to at least seven of the SDGs goals and the AU 2063 agenda, targeting 25 million jobs created and 50 million youth upskilled.
The YouthConnekt Africa Hub and Fund will be hinged on the five strategic principles: 1) Youth in the driver’s seat – mobilization of youth to drive YCA in each country; 2) Contextualization – country hubs and members will be supported to contextualize YCA; 3) Innovation – in program design, in the use of technology and in fundraising; 4) Implementation – Efficient, Effective and Sustainable; 5) Data Driven – use data to inform decisions, drive actions and advance advocacy agenda.
The YCA Hub will improve the skills, attitudes, knowledge and motivation of young African innovators to shape a better future for themselves and the continent by expanding access to economic, social and civic opportunities through National YouthConnekt initiatives. This will be achieved through i) coordinating a global network to create a continental ecosystem for African youth; ii) sharing experience and knowledge on program and policy design, youth initiatives and reporting; and iii) providing a conduit for resources at scale and data on youth to upskill and finance African youth.
In order to achieve the above targets, the YouthConnekt Hub is egger to recruit 2 passionate and skilled personnel with specified profile and experience as follows:
1. Senior Policy and Programs Advisor
The Senior Advisor will be responsible for supporting the Executive Director and the YCA team members. Under the leadership of the ED, she/he will provide support to the Executive Director in matters of Research on Policy and Programs relevant Drafting and review of briefs and communication material at the Hub; Management of Project Specialists and team members; Communication with YouthConnekt Africa Hub partners and stakeholders.
This position requires administrative efficiency, strong communications skills, research skills, writing skills, judgment, and strong work ethics. The Advisor will ssupport the implementation of the YCA Hub’s strategy by leading on specific strands of work and/or activities as required. She/he will prepare documents on specific youth policy issues, including briefing papers, policy analysis, blog posts, talking points, presentations, reports and press releases on going YCA efforts in member states.
Responsibilities and Duties include:
- Project management of the YouthConnekt Africa Hub Initiatives
- Support ED with management of calendar, contact database, set appointments.
- Represent the YCA in strategic meetings internally and externally as required by the ED
- Assist the ED to develop and manage relationships with academia, think tanks, international organizations, private sector, local CSOs and members of government
- Assist the ED to develop and manage activities and partnerships as necessary
- Help manage project activities and reports writing for donors, governments, and public
- Provide administrative and technical support in preparation of meetings (internal and external) prepare agenda, take minutes and prepare reports
- Ability to streamline and improve processes to handle the heavy workload of the ED
- Assist with YCA Board/Steering Committee meetings preparation and take minutes
- Draft and review proposals, letters and documents.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism among staff, leadership and external partners.
- Handle information requests and knowledge sharing of best practices
- Prepare briefs, memos, factsheets, and PowerPoint presentations for ED
- Make reviews and analytics
- Prepare high level correspondences
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Public Relations and Communication, Marketing, Administration, Management, Political Science, Business Administration, Economics
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in similar position
- Ability to research youth-related issues and priorities for the attention of the ED
- Ability to set priorities and pay attention to details
- Proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management.
- Outstanding verbal communication and strong presentation skills.
- Strong writing skills for clear and concise memos, letters, proposals, and other high level correspondences.
- Demonstrate ability to manage time and work effectively and efficiently;
- Strong project management and event planning experience.
- Advanced web and database research capabilities.
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) skillset. Experience with Google Docs, and graphic design software highly useful.
- Social media management: Twitter, Facebook, Linked-in, et. al.
- Excellent knowledge of both English and French, the good working knowledge of the other is an added advantage.
- Ability to handle confidential matters with utmost discretion
- Ability to balance competing priorities, with the to anticipate needs ahead
- Conceptual and writing skills
- Great interpersonal skills as the first point of contact for visitors
This position is on YCA- Level D. The holder will get a Gross monthly salary of 2,500 USD, a transport lump sum of 500 USD; and a communication fee of 200 USD.
- Finance & Administration Associate
The Finance and Administration Associate is responsible for establishing and maintaining efficient accounting and administration systems and procedures to support the smooth running of the YCA Hub operations. This position also oversees certain administrative functions related to human resources, office supplies, equipment, vendor relationships, office lease management and so on.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the day-to-day finance, administrative and logistic resources of the YCA Hub
- Under the guidance of the management ensure administrative and financial systems and controls are in place within the office
- In processing payables, review expenditures charged to the grant and administrative budgets, ensuring that costs are checked against budgets and are in compliance with relevant regulations.
- Administer and reconcile petty cash and respond to routine inquiries related to accounting and finances
- Lead the preparation of the monthly financial reports
- Be a liaison between YCA HUB, MYCULTURE and UNDP in reviewing and reporting on funds and other financial matters or vendor payments
- Provide training to new staff on finance, accounting, and administrative processes.
- Maintain accessible and organized documentations and records, vendor and personnel files, copies of invoices compliant with YCA Hub requirements.
- Oversee appointments and administrative formalities concerning meetings, workshops, trainings etc.
- Manage travel arrangements (car rental, flight tickets, accommodations, etc.) of YCA Hub Staff.
- Maintain hard copy and electronic filing system for YouthConnekt Africa Hub Correspondences
- Assist with preparation for annual independent audits
- Prepare Reporting to donors as per agreed financial reporting requirements.
- Assist programme staff to conduct budget reviews and financial analysis of programmes
- Project Profiles, budget planning and implementation reporting
- Investment and Financial analysis
- Budget Planning and implementation review, Cost Benefit Analysis
- Supervise back office operations including management of staff
- Prepare reports required by regulatory agencies and for the annual audits (internal and external)
- Prepare monthly management accounts and perform general ledger reconciliations
- Assist with the preparation of financial documents for proposals and funding opportunities
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance Management or Business Administration with either ACCA, CFA or CPA
- A minimum of five years of demonstrated experience in the accounting/finance/administrative area preferably in international organisations or private international companies;
- Excellent oral, written communications, and problem-solving ability;
- Ability to be a team player in a busy environment, often with tight deadlines;
- Knowledge of the international development funding arena desirable;
- Experience in an international organization is desirable
- English is required. French would be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based accounting systems;
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required.
- Ability to perform broad range of activities to support the creation of the YCA Hub including Finance, HR, Admin, Logistics, and Procurement functions.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to administer and execute financial processes and transactions;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow.
This position is on YCA - Level C. The holder will get a Gross monthly salary of 2500 USD, a transport lump sum of 500 USD; and a communication fee of 200 USD.
- Social security and health insurance, to be sourced from the gross salary
- Communication allowance will be given but paid directly by the service provider
- Working hours: 45 working hours a week except on weekends
- Every staff is entitled to 30 days of annual leave
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidate for the above positions, are encouraged to send their detailed application including application letter, CV, and copies of education qualification and certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com by indicating the position name in the email subject. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The recruitment tests will be organized on 12 October 2020. All applications should be submitted not later than 02 October 2020 at the latest by 17h00 Pm-Kigali time.
Late applications will not be accepted.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Done at Kigali, on 22/09 2020.
YouthConnekt Africa Hub -YCA